Greetings, Citizens of the Universe!
Welcome to the next installment of Berryz Memorial Survey: The Results Show. Last time, we took a look at the shonen-tastic Inazuma Eleven days of Berryz Koubou. This time, we take a look at the days afterwards. Unfortunately, it was the end of days.
Citizens of the Universe, welcome to the final era: the Post-Inazuma Era!
The Post-Inazuma Era
- Ai wa Itsumo Kimi no Naka ni (10 votes – 62.50%)
- Heroine ni Narou ka! (7 votes – 43.80%)
- 1-oku 3-senman Sou Diet Oukoku (7 votes – 43.80%)
- Aa, Yo ga Akeru (6 votes – 38%)
- cha cha SING (6 votes – 37.50%)
- WANT! (6 votes – 37.50%)
- ROCK Erotic (6 votes – 37.50%)
- Romance wo Katatte (6 votes – 37.50%)
- Towa no Uta (5 votes – 31.30%)
- Ai no Dangan (4 votes – 25.00%)
- Fuutsu, Idol 10nen Yatterannai Desho!? (4 votes – 25%)
- Asian Celebration (3 votes – 18.80%)
- Be Genki (2 votes – 13%)
- Motto Zutto Issho ni Itakatta (2 votes – 12.50%)
- Otona na no yo! (2 votes – 12.50%)
- Golden Chinatown (1 vote – 6.30%)
- Sayonara Usotsuki no Watashi (1 vote – 6.30%)
- Loving You Too Much (11 votes – 68.80%)
- Otona ni wa Nari Takunai Hayaku Otona ni Naritai (1 vote – 6.30%)
- Mou, Kodomo ja nai Watashi na no ni… (1 vote – 6%)
- Momochi! Yurushite Nyan ♡ Taisou (1 vote – 6.30%)
- I like a picnic (1 vote – 6.30%)
- Koisuru Technique (1 vote – 6%)
- Hero Arawaru! (0 votes – 0.00%)
- Omoide (0 votes – 0.00%)
- Yuuki wo Kudasai! (0 votes – 0.00%)
- Sekai de Ichiban Taisetsu na Hito (0 votes – 0.00%)
- I’m so cool! (0 votes – 0.00%)
Best Ai no Album 8 Song
- Because happiness (7 votes – 43.80%)
- Mythology ~Ai no Album~ (6 votes – 37.50%)
- Shy boy (5 votes – 31%)
- Yo no Naka Barairo (4 votes – 25.00%)
- Aa, Yo ga Akeru (4 votes – 25.00%)
- Renai Moyou (2 votes – 12.50%)
- Seishun Gekijou (Berryz Koubou Ver.) (2 votes – 12.50%)
- Amazuppai Haru ni Sakura Saku (1 vote – 6%)
- Atarashii Hibi (1 vote – 6.30%)
Best Berryz Mansion 9 Kai Song
- Succha ka Meccha ka~ (10 votes – 62.50%)
- Anata Nashi de wa Ikite Yukenai (2013 Ver.) (4 votes – 25.00%)
- Otokomae (2 votes – 12.50%)
- Koi Itoshiki Kisetsu (2 votes – 12.50%)
- Momochi! Yurushite Nyan Taisou (Yurusanyai Remix) (2 votes – 12.50%)
- Massugu na Watashi (1 vote – 6.30%)
- Nandakanda de Ii Kanji! (1 vote – 6%)
What would you consider the high point of this era? Why?
The chance to cover a best-selling foreign artist (twice), and the goodwill expansion into other countries through it. Releasing a song criticizing a prominent and harmful part of society; not something I imagine people think of when they hear “idols”.
This was the beginning of the end. Oh sure, ºC-ute can pole dance and OMFG it’s so sexyyyy, but put the Berryz in heart-stopping purple teddys and thigh-highs that show off the no-longer-girls in all their post-pubescent glory, and the pedophilic Japanese idol market just shrugs.
This is my favorite era, it’s all one giant climax for me. X_X I want to chose all the songs for the “best”.
One fan (who felt the string of good singles in this era ended around Golden Chinatown) expressed joy at seeing them in New Jersey.
Best days ever 😥
What would you consider the low point of this era? Why?
One fan pointed to “‘the ‘casual’ outfit.” One fan couldn’t remember the songs between Asian Celebration and Ai wa Itsumo and even felt the Berryz seemed become more morose. Another noted that they “stopped caring at all” and also mentioned “the awkard Pan-Asia phase.” Two fans pointed to the low sales, with one quipping that they loved “Aa, Yo ga Akeru.” The quality of the music (the video production and costume actually) was called into question with one fan noting the musical eccentricity:
Berryz are too high energy to sing so many slower songs. Songs like Rock Erotic or WANT! suit them much better than Motto Zutto Issho ni Itakatta, which doesn’t let them have fun in the music videos.
However, two answers pointed to something we all could agree is one definite low point: the hints of the “indefinite hiatus.” One fan said the hints were hard to take with one fan responding that the tenth anniversary was “like a goddam [sic] pink slip from Tsunku.”
Is there anything about this era you’d want to change or no? Why?
Let Berryz enjoy themselves, and smile more in the music videos. Have more experimental music, such as the Diet song or Ai wa Itsumo Kimi no Naka ni, which are both very different than any other group in HP is producing.
Ai wa Itsumo Kimi no Naka ni would have been released in place of Be Genki. It might have been enough to keep the public and Rii and Miya and Maa from losing interest.
I wish they would have stayed along the lines of when they were doing anime tie-ins. Berryz is best when they’re having fun and they just stopped having it. Also: momo went insane. Nyan-nyan needs to stop. Just STOP!
One response in particular postulate an interesting question:
If they didn’t care, why go on this long?
I’ll let you chew on that.
Any additional thoughts about this era?
Momo still refuses to show any measurable signs of aging; only her improving vocal skills give the game away.Seriously. Momoko. What the hell?
We’ve come to the end of the line in Berryz history. From the dawn of the ages to the end of the era, the Berryz have a wide and vast history full of twists and turns. However, we haven’t even truly explored the full effect of the Workshop on the universe. It is through explorig the other sides that we can get a full picture and truly see the impact.
I’ll end it with the best in show: Ai wa Itsumo Kimi no Naka ni
Next week on BMS: The Results Show: We blast off further into Other Spaces of the Berryz Universe!
Stay berry nice with a taste of honey!