Greetings, Citizens of the Universe!
Welcome to the next installment of Berryz Memorial Survey: The Results Show. Last time, we took a look at the early days of Berryz Koubou. It all seemed to rise smoothly, but then the Berryz were hit with their first challenge: their first (and thankfully only) graduation.
On September 11, 2005, Ishimura Maiha announced her graduation, which commenced on October 2. This was a life-changing event as it altered the dynamic between the Berryz forever. (There’s a reason a majority of the responding fans said her graduation was the low point of the previous era.)
How will the Berryz get through this time? Well, as we all know, the Workshop rose stronger than ever afterwards. However, it all begins somewhere…
Citizens of the Universe, welcome to the 7nin Era!
- Dakishimete Dakishimete (9 votes – 56.30%)
- Gag 100 Kaibun Aishite Kudasai (5 votes – 31.30%)
- Jiriri Kiteru (5 votes – 31.30%)
- VERY BEAUTY (5 votes – 31%)
- Dschinghis Khan (5 votes – 31.30%)
- Munasawagi Scarlet (4 votes – 25.00%)
- Yuke Yuke Monkey Dance (4 votes – 25.00%)
- Kokuhaku no Funsui Hiroba (3 votes – 18.80%)
- Waracchaou yo BOYFRIEND (2 votes – 12.50%)
- Tsukiatteru no ni Kataomoi (2 votes – 13%)
- MADAYADE (1 vote – 6.30%)
- Furare Pattern (8 votes – 50.00%)
- Sono Subete no Ai ni (8 votes – 50.00%)
- Warera! Berryz Kamen (6 votes – 37.50%)
- Suhada Pichipichi (5 votes – 31%)
- Darling I LOVE YOU (Berryz Koubou ver.) (5 votes – 31.30%)
- Aitai kedo… (4 votes – 25.00%)
- Maji Good Chance Summer (4 votes – 25%)
- Nigiyaka na Fuyu (2 votes – 12.50%)
- Toshoshitsu Taiki (1 vote – 6.30%)
- Seishun Oodoori (1 vote – 6.30%)
- Gaki Taishou (0 votes – 0.00%)
- 5(FIVE) (8 votes – 50%)
- 4th Ai no Nanchara Shisuu (5 votes – 31.3%)
- Dai 2 Seichouki (2 votes – 12.5%)
- 3 Natsu Natsu Mini Berryz (2 votes – 12.5%)
- Special! Best Mini -2.5maime no Kare- (0 votes – 0%)
Best Dai 2 Seichouki/Special! Best Mini ~2.5 Maime no Kare~ Song
- Sabori (6 votes – 37.50%)
- Berryz Koubou Koushinkyoku (4 votes – 25.00%)
- Arigatou! Otomodachi (3 votes – 18.80%)
- Joshi Basket-bu ~Asaren Atta Hi no Kamigata~ (2 votes – 12.50%)
- Aisuru Hito no Namae wo Nikki ni (1 votes – 6.30%)
- Ohiru no Kyuukei Jikan (0 votes – 0%)
Best 3 Natsu Natsu Mini Berryz Song
- Yeah! Meccha Holiday (7 votes – 43.80%)
- Natsu Remember you (6 votes – 37.50%)
- Chu! Natsu Par~ty (4 votes – 25.00%)
- Maji Natsu Sugiru (2 votes – 12.50%)
Best 4th Ai no Nanchara Shisuu Song
- Sprinter! (7 votes – 43.80%)
- Sayonara Hageshiki Koi (4 votes – 25.00%)
- Sakura wa Raku Sa (4 votes – 25%)
- Sakura→Nyuugakushiki (4 votes – 25%)
- Ai no Suki Suki Shisuu Joushouchuu (1 votes – 6.30%)
- Omoitattara Kichi desse! (1 votes – 6.30%)
- Watashi ga Suru Koto nai Hodo Zenbu Shite Kureru Kare (1 votes – 6.30%)
Best 5(FIVE) Song
- Baka ni Shinaide (8 votes – 50%)
- HAPPY! Stand Up (6 votes – 37.50%)
- Ah Merry-go-round (3 votes – 19%)
- CLAP! (3 votes – 18.80%)
- Dschinghis Khan (2 votes – 12.50%)
- BE (2 votes – 12.50%)
- Special Generation (Eccentric Remix) (2 votes – 12.50%)
- Kono Yubi Tomare! (1 votes – 6.30%)
- REAL LOVE (1 votes – 6.30%)
- Yume wo Hitotsubu ~Berryz Kamen Ending Theme~ (1 votes – 6.30%)
What would you consider the high point of this era? Why?
The answers provided were varied, but had a common thread. Two spoke of the versatility of the material and the development of the Berryz style and personality. Many, however, pointed to various songs and singles. “VERY BEAUTY” and “Kokuhaku no Funsui Hiroba” were, as one fan stated, “from a path that Berryz never went down again in terms of singles.” One fan discovered the group through “Munasawagi Scarlet” so it is near and dear to that fan’s heart. Another’s was “Madayade.” Another one simply answered “Sakura Nyugakushiki.” Two cited Dschinghis Khan as a high point, citing the resulted increased popularity and one saying “the Berryz do their best work when someone other than Tsunku has written the song”. (The current output of H!P can attest to that.) Two just simply answered that they ad no idea.
What would you consider the low point of this era? Why?
There were many answers to this question. One said that “no love for back girls” as a possible low point while three answered “I don’t know.”
Most of the answers related to the releases though, offering them as possible clues. One cited the fifth album as they “just don’t care for it much as a whole.” Another cited “Tsukiatteru no ni Kataomoi” as the fan didn’t think it was liked by many, though expressed a possibility they could be wrong. One other fan said “Monkey Dance” because they were unsure if people were ready for something like that. Two pointed to a decline in quality, one saying it began after “MADAYADE” while the other cited the entire era “as H!P has no clue how to produce, market, or manage the group.”
Is there anything about this era you’d want to change or no? Why?
When asked this question the following responses occured: Despite one fan suggesting perhaps those monkey suits and another saying a “complete and total reboot,” the majority of answers pretty much amount to “no.” “No.” “Nope~” “Nothing.” One fan regarded every aspect of Berryz history as important while another pointed to not knowing much about the era (an understandable answer).
Any additional thoughts about this era?
The answers to this question were also fascinating. One fan shared that this era is a time they’ll look upon tenderly as it was their gateway era in their H!P fandom, certainly helped by the Berryz. Another said that the girls “were all still young and cute, and there was still plenty of time to turn things around.” One other responding fan said the era was “pretty stable.” One answers “…” Two said they had no other thoughts on the era. One response was rather interesting to read:
Is this when Risako decided to do her about-to-sneeze face instead of smile? Cause I would have changed that face back to a smile.
I’m sure you’re not the only one who felt that way.
The 7nin Era. With their salad days behind them, the youthful novelty shaken off, the Berryz truck on forward into the future. After the shocking and possibly tragic graduation of one of their own, the Workshop rose above their greatest challenge. They faced even more in the form of possible stagnation and the search of their identity. You may notice that many of these years coincided with the dark days of H!P and the rising competition from their rivals (particularly of the 48 variety, where many rejected Musume hopefuls (and even a member of SI*NA) went). However, the Berryz stood strong and marched into the future. Here they were, rocking like hurricanes.
Speaking of hurricanes, we haven’t even begun to ride the storm. This was simply a calm before the Berryz rose further into the atmosphere towards the stars. The winds are blowing, the fronts are coming in, and times are ahead for the stormborn Berryz.
I’ll end it with the best in show: Dakishimete Dakishimete!
Next week on BMS: The Results Show: We thunder onto the pitch in a lightning flash in the Inazuma Era! Can you feel the storm? It’s coming….
Stay berry nice with a taste of honey!